I got up early on the morning of November 28, 2010 not feeling well. By 6:00am I realized that I was actually in labor. I got Kevin up and told him the good news. He later told me that he didn't believe that I was in actual labor, but he started calling my family for me anyway. Kevin was on the phone for what seemed like forever. He called our midwife at 7:00, but he told her not to hurry over, but to come when she was ready.
Jamin woke-up and Kevin went to take care of him. Kevin didn't get him ready and over to Connie's until about 8:30. It was about this time that our midwife Vicki arrived. Ken Gilbert came over and was able to help Kevin give me a blessing. I felt such peace that everything would be ok.
I had practiced Hypnobirthing and was able to breathe and relax through all of my surges (contractions) up until this point. It all started to change as I began feeling the urge to push. Vicki had me get on the bed (I was using a birthing ball up until this point) so that she could check to see how I was progressing. She didn't have to tell me, I knew that the baby had started descending. She said that she could feel the head. My water broke when I got on the bed, but after pushing for a while Vicki said that she thought the bag of waters was blocking the baby from descending down further. She had me stand up and she used gravity to help break the water again. It was at this point that I finally started to feel the baby's head moving.
They wanted me on the bed again. At this point I thought that I couldn't survive any more pain. I wanted to give up, but my body wouldn't let me. I was just ready to have the baby here.
It was at this point that my midwife had Kevin get into "position". Kevin had chosen to deliver the baby. I wanted him to hold my hand, but I was also excited about having him receive our new baby.
The head came out fine, but the shoulder's were stuck. This caused me to tear badly, but my baby was here! I watched Kevin just holding our baby. He announced that he was a little boy- YEAH! I knew it! Tayton was here!
They put Tayton on my belly and had me start nursing him while they helped to deliver the placenta. That was so painful, but the joy of looking into Tayton's eyes as he nursed helped me through it.
After the cord stopped pulsing they were able to cut it. I had to give my baby up at this point so that Kevin and Vicki could make sure he was healthy.
Every thing was great! Tayton was born at 10:25 am. He weighed 7lbs 6 oz and was 21 inches long. He was "fat" and had lots of hair compared to our little Jamin.
I can't say that having a drug-free home birth is for everyone, but it was perfect for me and my little family. I felt that angels were watching over us and helping me through my labor. I am so glad that the Lord blessed our family with our little angel.
Monday, December 6, 2010
My Birth Story
Posted by Kevin, Michelle and Jamin Gilbert at 2:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Wow Michelle! You are super woman! I'm so impressed that you gave birth at home. And Tayton is adorable!
Congratulations! I am so glad everything went well for you. I am so excited for your little Jamin to have a brother. That's so fun. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Get some R and R!!! Love ya,
Natalie
congratulations Michelle! I am glad to hear that you and your baby are doing well. I have been thinking about you lately. Call me, FB me or e-mail me! Good luck in the days ahead!
Michelle,
I loved reading the birth story of little Tayton. I think you are awesome for doing it all on your own--I wish I had that courage. Tayton is just darling and I love your new little family photos...so fun! Hope all is going well. Congrats again!
Post a Comment